Friday 18 January 2008

APEX 101 : Check this before you install.

This is my first post about APEX and it starts at the beginning.
Once again I have fallen into the trap of assuming that Oracle Text
and Oracle XML DB are both installed in the APEX target database.
Of course, the sneaky little beggers were not but the APEX
installation went away quite happily and installed itself, only giving
errors in the last few steps.
The checks below will verify whether Oracle Text and Oracle XML DB are
installed in the target database before you get started.

As sysdba
select * from ctx_version; -- To confirm Oracle Text Installation
select comp_name, version, status from dba_registry; --Look for XML DB in result

Update from the APEX Development Team
We talked this over and agree that it is a good idea (and would save our time on the forum and supports time too). We will handle this like we allow you to check prereqs in a packaged app before installing. Thanks for bringing it up.
--
It's not rain, just beer you haven't drunk yet.

2 comments:

Mark Aitken said...

I see the bluetooth keyboard hard at work here...

And I presume your feedback to the Oracle team was posted at a similar time? ;-)

*STILL* haven't found enough time to play with APEX. Shame on me...

Will you post up your examples as you play?

Chris Reid said...

Yeah.

As I get time to do stuff I will post anything interesting (or not so interesting) as I go along...

Well that is the plan anyway :-)